Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Salads

1 Listen to my words, LORD,
consider my lament.
2 Hear my cry for help,
my King and my God,
for to you I pray.
3 In the morning, LORD, you hear my voice;
in the morning I lay my requests before you
and wait expectantly.
12 For surely, O Lord, you bless the righteous;
 you surround them with your favor as a shield

Let the words from Psalm 5: 1-3, 12 wash over your soul and mind today.  I have set out on a journey to lose some weight and get more healthy.  I use this psalm as my prayer each morning.  I want the Lord to help me with my food choices for each meal of the day.  My mind wants to eat chicken nuggets, fries and nachos but my diabetes numbers need for me to eat veggies and limit my starches.  It is a daily uphill battle.  We are currently doing a Bible Study called Made to Crave and I would highly recommend it to you if you struggle with the same kinds of issues as me.  These verses came from the first few chapters and helped me tremendously.

Our recipes of the day are salads and I hope you like them.

Grilled Panzella Salad by Ina Garten

Place a sliced cucumber, 1 chunked tomato, 10 large basil leaves and 3 tbsp of capers in a bowl.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Brush onion slices, red and yellow pepper, seeded and cut into 3 large pieces with olive oil and grill the veggies on a grill pan or regular grill.  Cut up grilled veggies into bite size pieces and put into bowl with cucumbers.  Take 1/2 loaf of french bread cut into 1 inch thick slices and brush the slices with olive oil.  Grill like the veggies and put into the cucumber bowl.  Toss salad with Girard's Light Champagne Dressing.  It is the bottle shaped like a triangle on the salad dressing row of the grocery store.


How to make the perfect salad from my friend Susan.

Pick a lettuce:  Spinach, Spring Mix, Romaine or your favorite

Pick a fruit:  Pears, strawberries, blueberries, mandarin oranges or your favorite

Pick a nut:  Pecans, Almonds, Walnuts, Candied pecans or your favorite

Pick a meat:  Ham, turkey, chicken, grilled steak, tuna or your favorite.

Toss salad with Girard's Light Champagne Dressing.  Perfect every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment