Tuesday, February 7, 2012

More Salads to Enjoy

Psalm 34:8  Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.



One of my favorite salads is Cornbread Salad.  If you have had it, you know what I mean.  I can make the cornbread ahead of time and just take put it together in my office.  We have it for lunch in our office during the summer.  It is so good!!!

Cornbread Salad

Bake one box of Jiffy cornbread as directed on the box.  Let cool.  Put a layer of lettuce in the bottom of a 13 x 9 pan.  I use romaine but you can use your favorite.  Next open a can of black beans and drain well.  Put 1/2 the can over the lettuce.  Next open a can of your favorite corn and drain.  I like Green Giant extra sweet yellow corn.  Layer 1/2 the can over the black beans.  Next put 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese over the corn.  Next put another layer of lettuce, then the rest of the black beans, then the rest of the corn and then another 1/2 cup shredded cheese.  Top salad with freshly made ranch dressing (or use a large bottle from the grocery shelf).  Leave refrigerated for about 3 hours.  Take out of refrigerator and toss salad.  Enjoy!!!

Another favorite salad of mine that is very old and I'm sure you've had it is 7 Layer Salad.  We had it at a Christmas party this past year and I remembered why I love it so much.

Seven Layer Salad

Layer lettuce (your choice) in the bottom of a pretty bowl.
Next slice up some celery stalks about 3 or 4.
Next chop up some onion.  I use Vidalia or sweet onions.
Next layer one bag of  thawed frozen peas.  (My favorite ingredient)
Next layer 10 to 12 crispy bacon slices crunched up.
Next layer 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
Top all the layers with ranch dressing.
Refrigerate for several hours.  Take out and toss salad together.  Enjoy!!!

This is versatile salad that you can customize to your taste.  I might add some peppers or tomatoes.  Yum Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment